Ayurveda is an ancient form of Indian medicine that uses herbs to treat various acute and chronic disorders. Psoriasis is described as Kushth in Ayurveda and is characterized by appearance of fish like scales on the skin. It is mainly considered to have occurred due to vitiation of vata and Kapha dosha along with mental stress. Almost 40% patients with severe and chronic psoriasis are at risk of developing psoriatic arthritis.
So the main reasons for development of Psoriatic arthritis are same as that of psoriasis. These will cause psoriasis and as the disease progresses or becomes severe, psoriasis will attack joints too leading to psoriatic arthritis.
Ayurveda believes that the accumulation of low potency poisons or toxins formed by virudh aahar in the joints lead to psoriatic arthritis.
The main reasons for formation of toxins or poisons are:
• Simultaneous intake of foods with opposite qualities like yogurt with milk or fish with milk or ACHAR (Pickle) with milk or honey with ghee (butter) etc. These are opposite foods and if taken together, they produce slow poisons in our body.
• Using cold drinks and cold water under stress or after having hard physical work.
• An injury to skin
• Taking heavy meals within short durations without getting earlier meals properly digested.
• Having sex within one hour after taking meals.
• Sleeping during day time.
• Stopping the natural urges or vegas (waste disposal system of our body) like stool, urine and semen etc.
• Taking heavy meals throughout the day in breakfast, lunch and dinner.
• Excessive use of yogurt, black pepper and sea food in regular meals
• Lesser exposure to sun light
These factors lead to contamination of toxins in the deep tissues like rasa (nutrient plasma), rakta (blood), mansa (muscles), and lasika (lymphatic). This production, accumulation and contamination by poison or toxins in our body eventually lead to their flushing out in the form of psoriatic lesions through skin. Psoriatic lesions are just the symptoms of problem in our system. And in the chronic stage of this disorder, the toxins attack the joints and lead to psoriatic arthritis.