Although the exact cause of psoriasis is not known but it is believed to occur due to a combination of any of the following factors:
• Defects in immune regulation
• Genetic predisposition
• Environmental factors
• Emotional stress
• Trauma to skin
• Streptococcal infection
• Respiratory infections
• Withdrawal from a systemic psoriasis treatment
• Severe sunburn
• Deprivation of sunlight
• Use of anti-malarial and beta-blocker medications
• According to Ayurveda, most of the skin disease occurs due to simultaneous intake of foods with opposite qualities like yogurt with milk or fish with milk or ACHAR (Pickle) with milk or honey with ghee (butter) etc. These are opposite foods and if taken together, they produce slow poisons in our body.
• Using cold drinks and cold water under stress or after having hard physical work.
• An injury to skin
• Taking heavy meals within short durations without getting earlier meals properly digested.
• Having sex within one hour after taking meals.
• Sleeping during day time.
• Stopping the natural urges or vegas (waste disposal system of our body) like stool, urine and semen etc.
• Taking heavy meals throughout the day in breakfast, lunch and dinner.
• Excessive use of yogurt, black pepper and sea food in regular meals
• Lesser exposure to sun light